Saturday, July 6, 2019

Day 61: Back to Canada

We are almost home.  But we need to make one more stop.

Wolfe Island is at the head of the Thousand Islands.  A family now lives there that we met in New Hampshire when we first moved.  They have traveled the world (and still do).  So if you think we had an adventure, sit down with them over a long dinner and hear some tales. 

The most adventure of the day was crossing the border.  I had to convince the Border Agent that traveling all the way to Wolfe Island for a single night was not crazy.  Eventually she let me in.

There is an attitude that I'll call "Island Life" (that might be what they call it, but I can't remember).  There is a ferry that carries the cars from the mainland to the island.  It runs a round trip about every hour.  But it can slow down.  We made it to the dock about 15 minutes after it should have left, but it was running late so we soon saw it pull into the dock.  But we just arrived in the truck lane and the dock-lady told me I would have to wait for the next boat because all the cars that were in line were not going to make that ferry.  This is "Island Life".  You try to make the ferry, and even if you make it to the dock, you can't quite fit.  As a consolation prize, I sent the family as foot-passengers on the ferry so they got an hour head start on me.




No comments: