Saturday, June 8, 2019

Day 28: Mammoth Hot Springs

So we saw our geysers and mud pots yesterday.  Today we decided to drive a big loop.  Yellowstone is big.  We saw much of Yellowstone from the car.  There were short hikes of less than a mile to see a loop of hot springs, but mostly we drove and pulled off at the pretty spots.

The first major stop was Mammoth Hot Springs.  First, they are big, hence the name Mammoth.  second, it is getting bigger.  Not just a paper thin layer each decade.  Up to 2 feet each year.  We saw a portion of the trail that was a nice overlook, under inches of travertine.

Next we saw a petrified tree.  This one was different from every tree in the Petrified Forest.  This one was standing up.  There used to be 3 trees, but tourists destroyed 2 of them, bit by bit.

Until now, I had never see a wild moose.  The closest I've come is standing the in the White Mountains and watching a video of one running through a park 5 miles from home.  Now I can cross this off my list.  I saw a moose in Yellowstone.

We crossed over a mountain that still had several feet of snow on it.

Then back towards the campsite.  But before we can get there, a buffalo parade.  There was a motorcyclist in front of us.  I told the kids that if he turns and runs to let him in.  He eventually rode away once the buffalo started to swarm both sides of the cars.














No comments: